It has just been announced that following a sharp increase in coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in the Llanelli area, new local restrictions are being introduced to reduce the spread of the virus and protect public health for people living in the area.
All schools within the defined Llanelli areas will remain open and school transport will operate as normal.
The new local restrictions as of Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 6pm are:
• people will not be allowed to enter or leave the defined area of Llanelli without a reasonable excuse
• people will no longer be able to form, or be in, an extended household (sometimes called a “bubble”)
• this means meeting indoors with anyone who is not part of your household (people you live with) is not allowed at the moment, unless you have a good reason, such as providing care to a vulnerable person
• all licensed premises must stop serving alcohol at 10pm and will have to close at 10.20pm
• people must work from home wherever possible- we appreciate that this isn’t possible for school based staff.
The specific wards covered in the defined area of Llanelli are:
Bigyn, - Schools: Stebonheath; Coedcae
Bynea - School: Bynea
Dafen - Schools: Dafen; Halfway; St. Mary’s; Bryngwyn; St. John Lloyd
Elli - School: Pentip
Felinfoel - School: Y Felin
Glanymor - Schools: Maes Y Morfa
Hendy - Schools: Llanedi; Hendy
Hengoed - Schools: Ffwrnes; Pwll; Strade
Llangennech - Schools: Bryn; Llangennech
Lliedi - Schools: Old Road; Penygaer; Dewi Sant; Heol Goffa
Llwynhendy - Schools: Brynsierfel; Bryn Teg
Tyisha - Schools: Pen Rhos; Bigyn
Swiss Valley- Schools: Swiss Valley
One of the main restrictions is that people will not be able to enter or leave the defined area of Llanelli without good reason.
However, teachers or pupils who live outside the defined area will still be able to enter the defined area to attend work / school (as long as they are not displaying any COVID-19 symptoms or have not been asked to self-isolate for any other reason).
Carmarthenshire County Council are now asking parents in the defined area of Llanelli to please wear a face covering when dropping off and collecting their children from school or any other educational or childcare setting. Council enforcement officers will be carrying out spot-checks in various establishments within the defined area including schools to ensure schools and parents are adhering to the guidelines set.
More information on the local restrictions in the defined area including a comprehensive list of Frequently Asked Questions can be found on our website-